Several benchmark North American construction framing softwood lumber prices rebound spectacularly …
Key Comment : Sales of Western Spruce-Pine-Fir exploded following a Canfor announcement of sweeping curtailments across many multiple production facilities.https://madisonsreport.com/lumber-prices/
|Madison’s Lumber Prices Weekly Market Commentary Snippet|
Western SPF: USA Recrudesce
- Following Canfor’s major curtailment announcement Monday, sales of Western Spruce-Pine-Fir “exploded” as this week wore on.
- While suppliers did spend some time early in the week clearing out older inventory, asking prices were up significantly and sawmill order files were pushing into July as Friday rolled around.
- After briefly – and brutally – dipping below US$300 mfbm, the price of standard 2x4s shot up $78, or +20%, to US$376 mfbm, while 2×6 vaulted $52 to $338.
- The sense among players was that “this is only the beginning” of a rally that may eventually allow curtailed and temporarily shut-down sawmills to get production back to normal. And to bring back embattled employees.
Western SPF: Canada Surge
- Sales of Western Spruce-Pine-Fir in Canada appeared to be finally “on the upswing” this week, with inquiry bursting out of the gate from Tuesday-on.
- Prices surged up and sawmill order files were extended into the week of July 1st, with “only the odd item” available sooner.
- Myriad curtailments and shut downs had the desired effect of reducing supply, but at the unfortunate cost of hundreds of jobs lost or hanging in the balance. Construction markets all over North America continued to wake up slowly and low field inventories prodded buyers to get deals done.
- Eastern Canadian lumber suppliers saw inquiry and follow-through increase palpably in both Canadian and US markets – though moreso in the latter.
- While Eastern Spruce-Pine-Fir sawmills didn’t boost their asking prices as much as their Western cohorts, roughly $10 increases were swallowed by customers with nary a peep.
- Early-July order files prevailed in standard grades while “weaker” low grade items could be found for quicker shipment.
GET THE FULL STORY NOW …. Your login information is here: SilvaStat360 Landing Page <https://silvastat360.forest2market.com/>
* Retrieve your password.
* Sign using you email address as your user name and password from the automated email you receive. You can reset your password as soon as you log in.
Easy instructions to use dashboard:
Madison’s Lumber Reporter Quick Start Guide https://madisonsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Madisons-Lumber-Reporter-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf
SilvaStatS360 Madisons Visual Guide https://www.forest2market.com/hubfs/Madisons_Visual_Guide.pdf?
Demo Video, Complete Instructions https://vimeo.com/278166553
Keta’s YouTube Madison’s Lumber Price tool Demo