PRICES REFLECT March 8, 2019 ISSUE OF MADISON’S LUMBER REPORTER
BENCHMARK 2×4 Kiln Dried R/L #Construction #Framing #North #American #Softwood #Lumber and Panel Prices Graphs: March 12, 2019
Western SPF: USA Opportunistic
- Sales activity for Western Spruce-Pine-Fir mills in the United States improved noticeably this week as producers reduced most of their #2&Btr R/L asking prices.
- With rail service suffering from the effects of cold weather, customers were keenly aware of the importance of booking some orders to get a jump on bolstering their depleted inventories.
- Sawmill order files were seldom further out than two weeks, but with lagging transportation times stretched those estimates out up to a month or more.
Western SPF: Canada Better Tone
- Inquiry and follow through from US markets increased palpably this week according to WSPF mills in Canada.
- Sawmill order files were commonly around two weeks but realistically closer to five weeks with transit times included.
- Low grade dimension offerings were again scarce relative to demand levels.
Southern Yellow Pine Continues to Sink
- This week’s price for the other large volume-traded softwood lumber commodity, Southern Yellow Pine, more than reversed increases in previous weeks, falling -$16, or -4%, to US$418 mfbm, from $434 the week before. One-year-ago, that price was $117, or 28%, higher than it is now; at US$535 mfbm in the beginning of March 2018.
Standard Construction Framing North American Dimension Softwood Lumber and Panel Prices: Wholesale Price March 11, 2019 (net FOB mill North America)