PRICES REFLECT January 18, 2019 ISSUE OF MADISON’S LUMBER REPORTER
BENCHMARK 2×4 Kiln Dried R/L #Construction #Framing #North #American #Softwood #Lumber and Panel Prices Graphs: January 21, 2019
Western Spruce-Pine-Fir: USA Recrudesce
- WSPF buyers in the US decided to flesh out their bare inventories after a huge curtailment announcement spurred them on.
- Western US sawmills took the opportunity to raise asking prices, especially on 2×6 R/L #2&Btr, which has been terminally-underproduced lately.
- Consequently sawmill order files pushed into early February, with 6-inch getting close to mid-month.
- Producers complained of pockets of wet weather slowing down progress in the bush and on logging roads.
Western Spruce-Pine-Fir: Swift
- Business took off for Canadian producers of WSPF lumber following the West Fraser Timber notice of curtailments in British Columbia this week.
- Sawmill order files were through the week of February 4th on most items, with 10-inch being the only “slow-selling” commodity.
- Rail service continued to get “slower by the day”, becoming an increasing source of worry for shippers.
- Fibre supply was manageable for the time being.
Southern Yellow Pine Steadies
- After beginning the year in a slump, Southern Yellow Pine lumber prices ticked up just slightly in week 3 of 2019.
- Madison’s/Forest2Market’s composite southern yellow pine lumber price for the week ending January 11 was $378/MBF, a 0.5% increase from the previous week’s price of $376/MBF, and a 10% decrease from the same week in 2018.
- The average weekly price thus far in 2019 is $376/MBF.
Standard Construction Framing North American Dimension Softwood Lumber and Panel Prices: Wholesale Price January 21, 2019 (net FOB mill North America)